20 Questions to ask your mover-Answered!
The Home Depot has a great list of questions to ask your mover. You can find that list here
We thought we’d go through that list and answer them today!
Here’s Local Motion’s answers to 20 Questions to ask your mover
TOP 10 THINGS TO ASK
1. Can you give me references of satisfied customers?
Yes we do! Click here
2. How long has your company been in business?
We’ve been a business since 1994 (first generation & family owned and operated)
3. What do you consider extra services and how much do you charge for them?
We do packing and unpacking and storage, which you can find on our website.
4. Is your company licensed for state and interstate transport?
Yes! Our DOT number is 2642328
5. How do you determine the weight of my shipment?
This applies to interstate moves. For those, we work with Global Vanlines using proprietary software we’ve developed that can estimate how much the cost will be.
6. For a local move, how does your company charge: by the hour, number of movers or weight?
We charge by number of movers & by hour.
7. What kind of liability coverage does your company provide?
Insurance is covered on our customer service form pages
8. Who does the packing and loading?
Our movers do the packing and loading
9. Are workers covered by workers’ compensation and public liability insurance?
10. Was I given all necessary documentation, including the signed contract?
Yes. The bill of lading should be presented at the start of the move. We’ve written a blog post explaining this
DIG A BIT DEEPER
1. Do you charge extra for travel time to and from my house?
Learn more on the Moving Day Info Page: Destination Fee (Trip Charge): The destination fee covers the travel time from Local Motion to your first location, and from your final location back to Local Motion.
2. What kind of cancellation policy do you have?
The deposit is applied directly towards your move costs. It is fully refundable up to 48 hours before your move date, and can be transferred without fee or penalty up to 24 hours before your move date.
3. How can I pay for the move?
The Team Leader will review the final charges with you at the end of your move. Please have your preferred payment choice ready. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, cash, and personal checks.
4. How do you pack items with special requirements, such as electronics, glass-fronted furniture, antiques and musical instruments?
We use many types of packing materials, many of which you can find/buy here
5. Do you guarantee pickup and delivery dates? What happens if you miss one or both?
We do for local moves. Please contact your moving consultant with any issues.
6. What kind of inventory system do you use?
We add up based on time and the estimate they were given before the move.
7. How much of the work can I do myself?
It depends. You can either pack and unpack yourself or have us do that for you.
8. If I do the packing myself, are there restrictions on the types of boxes or utility totes I can use? Will this save me money?
We have restrictions on what to pack but many people provide their own boxes/storage containers which is fine. We actually have a 30 day money back offer if you return your moving boxes within 30 days.
9. What supplies do you provide? What’s included? What items do I pay for?
We provide the men, the trucks and the tools. You can purchase additional products here
10. How do you handle disputes and complaints?
We do claims services and you can learn more here
Contact your moving consultant for any additional questions!